What does it mean to have the Son?


Whenever I move, it seems that a disproportionate amount of energy goes towards books. Moving the contents of my bookshelf means several loads of heavy boxes going down a flight of stairs and being heaved into a back seat of a car, some to be taken to my new residence, some to be parted with. Before that I have to go through each shelf, sorting, making decisions about the fate of each book.

Interspersed among my books are notebooks of old sermon notes and journals. As I was going through things before moving last month I found a page from an old notebook. At the top was written "What does it mean to have the Son?" followed by a list of things I and all believers have because of Jesus. I can't recollect why I wrote the list, and I don't know if it came from memory or something I was studying. Either way, it made me pause wondering why I tend to be anxious; in light of all I have in Him my anxiety looks pretty foolish. Here's some of what was on the list (it's long but skimming is allowed and I added verse references mostly to prove I'm not crazy):


-Reconciliation with God (Romans 5:11)
-Adopted as God's child (Ephesians 1:5)
-He prays for me (John 17:20-23)
-He intercedes for me (Hebrews 7:25)
-He lived a perfect life when I couldn't (Hebrews 4:15)
-He died to redeem His people (and me) (Galatians 3:13)
-He gives me the Spirit (John 14:16)
-My old self is dead because of Him (Galatians 2:20)
-He took the curse of sin (Galatians 3:13)
-He cleanses me from my sin (1 John 1:7)
-He taught me about His Father (John 17:26)
-God forgives my sin (Ephesians 1:7)
-He created the world (John 1:3)
-He stands between me and my adversary (Revelation 19)
-My desires are changed because of Him (2 Corinthians 5:17)
-Because of Him I'm being sanctified (1 Corinthians 6:11)
-I have His righteousness (2 Corinthians 5:21)
-He oversees my life (Micah 5:4)
-He is my king (Revelation 17:14)
-He will return for me and His saints (1 Thessalonians 4:16-17)
-Will destroy His (and my) enemies (Revelation 19-20)
-Because of Him I have eternal life (1 John 5:13)


These are such sweet promises! We can count on each one because God promises it in His Word. I'm thrilled that He would allow me to have a part in others having His Word in their language.

In Christ,
Kaley


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Assignment: Central African Republic

A Year in Review