My Assignment

Francophone?


As I started the application process with Wycliffe, I knew God called me to work with Bible translation, but the question of "where" wasn't clear. During the application process it was settled on Francophone Africa. 

Francophone simply means “French-speaking.” Because they were colonized by France or Belgium, French was adopted as the national language of several countries in Africa. To serve with Bible translation in these countries, you need to be able to speak French.

Because I was a French major in college and spent time teaching English in France, I feel like God was preparing me all along to serve in this part of the world. It's a testimony to His sovereignty over my life. While I haven’t used the language in a long time and might need more training, I can praise God for His plans!

In Africa there are languages of wider use like French, English, Swahili, or Sango, and then there are hundreds of local languages like Yambetta. For many in Francophone Africa, their fist language isn't French but one of these local languages . About 350-400 local languages need a Bible translation in French-speaking Africa.

Francophone Africa: Senegal, Gambia, Mali, Burkina Faso, Niger, Cote d'Ivoire, Togo, Benin, Cameroon, Chad, Central African Republic, Republic of Congo, Democratic Republic of the Congo

My assignment covers 13 countries right now, but the map will be narrowed to one before I leave for Africa. During the application process I was asked if I was willing to be flexible so I could be placed where there is a need for my skills at the time I leave. I said yes, so as I get closer to departure I will have a more specific assignment. In the meantime, I get to pray about each of these places. 


Here are some things going on with Bible translation in Francophone Africa:



Burkina Faso - Sissala Old Testament and Literacy 



More about Africa:

Population: 1,144,196,000
Languages: 2,139
Languages needing a translation: 715 
Size:




In Christ,
Kaley



SIL Africa
http://www.wycliffe.net/en/statistics
https://www.ethnologue.com/


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Assignment: Central African Republic

What does it mean to have the Son?

Dallas Bound